Dattopant Thengadi Centre for Development Studies
Dattopant Thengadi Centre for Development Studies
Rashtra Rishi Dattopant Bapurao Thengadi (10 November 1920 – 14 October 2004) : born in a village Arvi of Wardha district of Maharashtra is known for his unique qualities of institution building, leadership & organizing skills and propounding the Third Way of socio-economic development based on the ideology of Sanatan Dharma. He was greatly influenced by the philosophy Ekatam Darshan propounded by Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya. According to him, neither right nor left is the solution to the ills of the world – degradation of the environment, concentration of income & wealth, unemployment and poverty, exploitation of labour, dominance of the western culture and values guided by individualism and self-interest etc.. The real solution comes only from Indian culture based on the dharma and is the only solution to the problems. Thengadi Ji was ardent supporter of larger role for MSMEs, use of labour intensive technologies, decentralization of decision making and use of country made products. He was against western motivated globalization.
He founded and nurtured some of the well-known and today’s leading organizations such as Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (1955) , Bharatiya Kisan Sangh (1979) and Swadeshi Jagran Manch (1991). He authored many books of which most referred are: The Third Way; Modernization Without Westernization; What Sustains Sangh?, Our National Renaissance, It’s Directions and Destination; Nationalist Pursuit; The Great Sentinel and The Perspective. Dattopanth Ji was a great scholar, philosopher, visionary and orator yet modest, deeply rooted in the past and completely in tune with the modern time and sensitive to the issues of national importance. His ideas and philosophy is much more relevant than ever and thus needs more research and fair implementation.
RATIONAL FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF CENTRE
Today world community in general and India in particular are facing sever socio-economic crises in many areas. The prominent problems include ; growing problem of un-employment, rising threat to environment, concentration of wealth into few hands and threat to Indian value system including to the family system. Thengadi Ji’s contribution and views on social, economic and political issues, provides an alternative to the philosophies of socialism and capitalism both of which have already failed in the world. It is in this context Chaudhary Bansi Lal University, Bhiwani decided to set up “Dattopant Thengadi Centre for Development Studies” in the faculty of Management and Commerce.
The center shall endeavor to achieve the following objectives:
- To initiate research on issues and ideas brought to public debate by Thengadi Ji.
- To bring his ideas and philosophy into public domain by networking with academic institutions through seminars, workshops and conferences.
- To promote academicians to take research work on issues and ideas propagated by him and publish the findings in research journals, newsletters and newspapers.
- To see how socio-economic policies in India could be evolved on Indian philosophy and value system.
- Special focus shall be on sectors/topics like employment generation, MSMEs, optimum utilization of local resources, environment protection, modernization without westernization, FDI & WTO related issues, labour welfare, farmers’ distress, rural development, poverty elimination, health & education etc.
INITIATIVES AND ACTIVITIES UNDER THE CENTRE
Key Note Speaker
Swadeshi Model of Development : Need of the Hour
Shri Kashmiri Lal, Rastriya Sangthak, Swadeshi Jagran Manch and noted social worker
Don’t be Job Seekers be Job Providers
Shri Satish Kumar
Conservation, Management and Development of Water Resources
Shri Rajendra Singh, noted environmentalist, social worker and Magsaysay award winner
Life and Philosophy of Dattopant Thengadi
Dr. Ashwani Mahajan, National Co-Convener, Swadeshi Jagran Manch , noted educationist and writer
Monthly News Letter
SWADESHI – News & Views
To promote and highlight the successful swadeshi initiatives undertaken in the country and work for the achievement of the objectives laid down for Dattopant Thengadi Centre for Development Studies.
University released its diary for the year 2020 and is dedicated to Rastra Rishi Shri Dattopant Thengadi . A background note on his life, philosophy, and contribution to socio-economic development of the nation has been incorporated in the diary and about 300 diaries were distributed to eminent persons/educationists/ institutions.
17 issues so far have been published and are available at www.cblu.ac.in
- To start a campaign/awareness program for promoting sustainable consumption in Bhiwani with the help of Department of Social Work of the university.
- To design and develop a framework for an employment centric curriculum at UG & PG levels programs. The so developed framework can be used by other institutions keeping in view their local needs , requirements and available resources.
- To find out ways and techniques for effective waste management of the municipality of Bhiwani and nearby villages . The centre will coordinate with Aryabhatta Incubation Centre for this purpose. Incubation centre recently has been established by the university with financial assistance from the Government of Haryana.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Chaudhary Bansi Lal University (CBLU), Bhiwani has been established by the Government of Haryana under the Act No. 25 of 2014, to facilitate higher education in multi-disciplines . The University is recognized by the UGC under 2(f) of UGC Act 1956. The University has proved to be a boon for the people of the region as it has increased the access of the youth to quality education especially for girls. The university is now a teaching-cum-affiliating University with a major focus on quality teaching, research and extension. The University has 19 post-graduate Department of Studies through which it offers 21 post- graduate programs to more than 1000 students in the campus. There are 68 colleges/institutions from Bhiwani and Charkhi Dadri districts that are affiliated with the University offering UG and PG level programs. The University is located to the west of Delhi and south of Chandigarh at a distance of 125 kilometers and 285 kilometers respectively. Presently, the University is in its infancy stage and is facing constraints related to infrastructure and faculty. Despite these constraints, university has initiated several unique practices/measures such as adoption of curriculum which encourages innovations, entrepreneurship, independent learning, creating environment of trust for healthy students-faculty interaction, building effective industry-university linkages, establishing strong community connect and reach out to academia , reputed institutions and industry through series of academic events like seminars, workshops and symposia.
Patron : Prof. Raj Kumar Mittal, Vice Chancellor
Dean : Prof. Vikas Kumar , Faculty of Commerce & Management
Convener: Dr. Jitender Kumar Bhardwaj , Registrar
Co-ordinator : Dr. Utpal Kumar , Assistant Professor , Department of Geography
दत्तोपंत ठेंगड़ी विकास अध्ययन केंद्र — Download Report